I kept getting an error popping up in my Contacts.app saying:
"The operation could not be completed."
"No other information is available about the problem."
I figured I’d try to remove all my contacts and reimport them, so I exported an .abbu file of all of them and then delete them all. I then turned off iCloud, before reimport them, thinking if I turned it on again after doing so it’d re-sync them up to iCloud. What happened however was that it re-enabled the iCloud account straight after reimporting the .abbu file and then deleted all the local contacts straight away as it synced with my empty iCloud contacts. The solution was this..
- Firstly remove your network cable or turn off your wifi to disconnect from the internet.
- Import the .abbu file to restore all your contacts, which will no longer disappear again as it can’t connect to iCloud.
- Now select all your contacts (select one and then press cmd+A) and drag them out to your desktop, which will create one .vcf file with all your contacts in.
- Reconnect to the internet and your contacts should disappear again as it re-syncs with iCloud.
- Next, just drag the .vcf file from your desktop back into the Contacts.app and it will reimport them all and then sync them up to iCloud.
- All your contacts on your iPhone, iPad, other Macs that are synced with iCloud should now have all your contacts back
Hope that helps someone else.
I upgraded to Mountain Lion yesterday, as I like to torture myself a little from time to time and see what an OS upgrade will break this time. I’ve only two things that didn’t work, Mailplane and Parallels. Mailplane needed to be upgraded to either version 2.x preview or to the Mailplane 3 beta.
Parallels also had an upgrade with support for Mountain Lion and installing that got it working.
I have two 24” monitors on my Mac and I run Parallels full screen on my 2nd monitor. On the new version with OS X Mountain Lion, when I click inside the VM, apps on my main display start flickering like crazy. There is a forum post on it here, but basically the fix for now is to disable 3d acceleration on your VM.
I’ve just spent the last 2 hours trying to upload an updated iOS app to Apple. Using Xcode Organiser, I’d get the message “An error occurred uploading to the itunes store” then it’d show me “Validation failed”. I successfully submitted an update for the same app a few days ago but had to reject the binary, so this was a little strange.
After failing numerous times and trying a few things, I went to Organiser, right clicked my archive and selected “Show in finder”, then right-clicked the xcarchive file and selected ”Show Package Contents”, compressed the .app file and uploaded it with the Application Loader (/Developer/Applications/Utilities/Application Loader.app). The first time it failed and I got the message that the validation failed due to “The app references non public selectors: multitaskingSupported”. That was easy to fix by just updating to the latest version of Appirator, however after that I was still getting a very generic error message about it failing.
The only thing I’ve changed with my system since I last submitted the app is that I installed some OS X updates, one of which was “Java for Mac OS X Lion 2012-001”. I know the app submission software uses Java, as I’ve seen it ask me for permission for something about allowing Java to accept remote connections while uploading an app. I remembered that I hadn’t rebooted since I installed the update, so I tried that, but still no luck.
In the end, I got fed up of wasting a so much time trying to work it out, so I pushed my changes to my git repository on my desktop machine (OS X 10.7), pulled them on my laptop (OS X 10.6) and it submitted first time directly from Organiser. I can see update “Java for Mac OS X 10.7 Update 7” waiting to be installed on that, which I’m slightly hesitant to install now.
I’m kind of frustrated I don’t have an answer to the problem and will look into it a bit more when I have more time, but using a different machine to submit it is a good option if you’re up against it.
It seems this was an issue with Java. I have since installed another Java update, rebooted and that fixed the issue.
This is useful for testing the effect of slow connections on mobile apps in the development emulators.
It uses IPFirewall rules to limit connections from your computer to the web (on TCP port 80) to 15KB per second (or any number you choose). Fire up the terminal and enter…
sudo ipfw pipe 1 config bw 15KByte/s
sudo ipfw add 1 pipe 1 src-port 80
Just make sure you remember to remove the rule when you are done with it…
sudo ipfw delete 1